Definition and causes
Impetigo caused by a bacterial infection of the skin. There is often talk about staphylococci, but the disease can also be caused by streptococci.
Impetigo may occur in normal, healthy skin, but for the most part where there has been little regulation or an area of eczema. Especially children with eczema children (atopic dermatitis) Is vulnerable.
Impetigo is a very common disease, and as the name suggests, the most seen in children. It occurs in hot or humid conditions and spill easily - usually in institutions or between siblings and legekammerater.
Symptoms of impetigo
- Impetigo can sit at the whole body but is seen as a regular on the face around the nose, mouth and ears and hands.
- The skin in the affected area becomes red, and the edge of the area from the blistering.
- Bladders are bursting and will be covered by yellowish-brown (amber-colored) crusts.
- Any liquids wounds.
- Wounds can spread to other parts of the body.
- The child has, moreover, well, there is no fever, but the nearest lymph nodes can be swollen.
Measures taken by impetigo
By suspicion of impetigo should visit a doctor because the disease can be treated. You can even facilitate progress by washing the wounds gently with warm water. Transmission is prevented by careful håndhygiejne (especially in relation to food) and washing clothes at least 80 degrees.
Children should not be sent in the institution, as impetigo is highly infectious, and because young children usually can not help but tinker and scrape into the wounds. When the crust has fallen by infecting the disease no longer, and the child can come in the institution again. Major schoolchildren may come to school with instructions to wash their hands frequently, not to scratch the wounds and not sharing towels and similar with other children.
Treatment of impetigo
In light cases can use a cream with chlorohexidine 1% or antibiotics. In more severe cases, be given antibiotics as tablets.