Definition and causes
Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a chronic, autoimmune skin disease. Auto Immune to say that the body's immune system attacking some of the body's own cells. Why this happens, it is not.
The disease seen ten times as frequently in women as men, and young women (20-40 years) are affected most often. Sunlight is the main factor that triggers DLE. However, it may be difficult to see the connection, since the rash first 1-2 months after exposure to sunlight.
Symptoms of discoid lupus erythematosus
- Red areas / smudge on the face and skull.
- The areas are millimeters to several centimeters high, full of scaly and sharply demarcated from normal skin.
- The skull may result in areas of patchy loss of hair.
- Afterwards the areas marked by thin, pale skin and scars.
- There may be symptoms of other organs, as signs of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).
SLE is a connective tissue disease, which attacks many organs. The disease is serious and it is important to rule out the existence of SLE, when you make a diagnosis of DLE. Symptoms of here, for example. mouth ulcers, joint pain, cramps, anemia, inflammation of the heart and lungesæk and kidney problems.
Diagnosis of discoid lupus erythematosus
The diagnosis DLE with the naked eye or through a skin biopsy (a small sample of skin under examination in a microscope) and blood samples (1 / 3 has special antibodies in the blood, known as ANA and anti-DNA). It also examines other agencies to exclude SLE.
Treatment of discoid lupus erythematosus
DLE treated with strong sunscreen (factor 20 and above) as well as strong steroid creams. In severe cases, you can also try klorokin (a cure for malaria) and dapsone. The disease is usually spread over several years.