Definition and causes
Painful menstruation, especially in the form of stomach cramps known as menstrual pain, mittelschmertz or dysmenorrhea. It divides dysmenorrhea in a primary and a secondary form:
- Primary dysmenorrheais a condition where you do not know the underlying cause. This debuterer usually within the first 3 years after the first menstruation, and can last a lifetime.
- Listened dysmenorrheais a symptom of an underlying disease. This could include endometriosis, inflammation of the egg-heads or fibroids. In addition, the condition caused by tumors or ovarian cancer. A typical jockey pain by menstruation begins.
Symptoms of menstrual pain
Menstrual pain is in itself not a disease but can be a symptom of an underlying disease. Accompanying Symptoms of dysmenorrhea may be painful intercourse (dyspreuni).
If the condition is due to an inflammation of the ovaries or uterus / cervix, the pain may be accompanied by vaginal discharge, which may have different colors (white / yellow / green) and smell, and in such cases, one should consult a doctor.
Precautions and diagnosis
The determination of dysmenorrhea may include:
- Gynecological examination
- Ultrasound Scanning
- Rarely performed a kikkertundersøgelse of the stomach (laparaskopi), where the doctor through a small cut in the stomach with a telescope can look into the abdominal cavity.
The doctor will be more inclined to initiate these studies, if dysmenorréen debuterer later than 3 years after the first menstruation, as the risk of an underlying disease is higher here.
The treatment of menstrual pain
The primary form of dysmenorrhea can be treated in two ways, either by painkillers, or by hormonal to avoid contraction.
- Analgesics will typically be weak painkillers that contain either paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen. We should here note that acetylsalicylic acid and ibuprofen in itself may cause abdominal pain and possible. ulcers.
- Hormone Therapy will typically be ordinary contraceptive pill, but some may benefit from hormone spiral, as it in some women inhibits ovulation.
In the secondary form of dysmenorrhea treatment directed against the underlying disease, which may be one of those under the definitions and causes, said.
Exercise may want. relieve menstrual pain.
This article is formed on the Health Guide on 05.09.06