Definition and causes
Obesity is a condition where there is ambiguity in the lens of the eye (see eyelids and the front part of the eye. Lens becomes thicker and thicker with age, which in itself leads it to become more unclear. When the lens is unclear, lead it to that vision gets worse, because the light is not so easy to get through.
Age change is by far the leading cause of cataract. Some people are genetically more predisposed to develop cataract than others. Any damage to the lens can also lead to the lens becomes cloudy. Damage to the lens can, for example. arise from past trauma to the eye, the eye against radiation or surgery of the eye. In addition, certain diseases such as diabetes, eczema and children of low levels of calcium (lime) in the blood available for cataract. Moreover, treatment of adrenal cortical hormones, which are both island
Symptoms of cataract
- The sight gets worse. Typical complaints of persons with cataract, that vision becomes blurred and that there are difficulties with reading newspaper and watching TV.
- Blændingsgener seen if the ambiguity in the lens sits in the rear part. The patient aperture more of the harsh light than usual. Particularly in the sunshine and by meeting with oncoming cars at night.
- Increasing myopia. Normally you fall with age more farsighted and often need reading glasses. Some may find that they have as they develop cataract, no longer need their reading glasses, because increasing myopia abolish the age-related hypermetropia. (see also myopia and hypermetropia and Gammelmandssyn).
- In advanced cases of cataract through the pupil can see the obscurity of the lens, which is usually seen as a milky white glow or brown spots on the pupil.
- Rarely, there may be problems with that is double vision in one eye. Patients experiencing so seeing double when only one eye open. This is because the trough of light in the cloudy lens is different.
Precautions and diagnosis
When symptoms of cataract should go to an ophthalmologist. Eye doctor will first light into the eye with a small flashlight. This is sometimes enough to make the diagnosis. In any case, the eye also examined through a special column lamp. To better see the lens through column lamp, it is necessary to expand the pupil in this study. This is done by dribble eyes with some special eye drops, which extends pupil in the next few hours. If you're going to have made such a sub
Treatment of cataract
The only effective treatment for cataract is surgery. The operation takes place in a local anesthetic and performed mostly in hospitals or outpatient at a private eye. The whole operation takes 15-30 minutes and consists of the removal of the cloudy lens and replace it with an artificial plastic lens.
The new lenses strength is calculated from the curvature of the cornea and the length of the eye that is measured using an ultrasound scan. The lenses are therefore adapted to each person. Before the operation is complete, spraying some antibiotics into the eye to prevent the development of inflammation. Then put a bandage over the eye in 2-6 hours. In the next few weeks, we must dribble the eye with adrenal cortical hormones and possibly. antibiotics.
Select and complications
Without treatment will be worse eyesight and worse, and it may end up with someone to become blind. After surgery for cataract, the survey often much better. There remain unchanged by the degree of myopia or hypermetropia, it had already, so we should still use the glasses, if they did so before they got cataract. However, the strength of the glasses are often adjusted after an operation for cataract.
There is rarely complications from surgery. Immediately after surgery, you can see that the cornea raise up to the pressure within the eye increases, or that there will be a little blood in the anterior chamber of the eye. The latter are calledhyfæmaand seen as blood in front regnbuehinden. These complications, however, usually disappears by itself after a few days.
In a few days may be various kinds of inflammation. Frequently is inflammation of regnbuehinden. Very seldom seen there inflammation, which affects the entire eye. This is a very serious condition with a high risk of losing vision in the eye. Besides inflammation of the eye, there is also a slightly increased risk of developing retinal detachment.
After some time may be calledafter starling, Due to the fact that by the operation does not remove the rear of the capsule, the lens was in. There is in this piece capsule formation of new ambiguities, so that sight again become ill after surgery. After Starling can be treated with laser.
Prevention of cataract
There is no specific way to prevent cataract, but there is some evidence that smoking and exposure to strong sunlight increases the risk of developing cataract why this should be avoided.